Frisco Child Support Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Rita C. Dixon PLLC, our Frisco child support attorneys have over 25 years of experience fighting for their clients in child support cases. As you might expect, child support is one of the most frequently addressed topics for our clients. If you are needing legal advice or representation regarding child support, please reach out to us to learn more about how our child support attorneys in Frisco TX can help you. In the meantime, here are some of the answers to a couple of the more common questions we receive.

How Does the State of Texas Calculate Child Support?

Probably the most frequently asked question of our Frisco child support attorneys is whether they will have to pay or whether they will receive child support. In a nutshell, the State of Texas will use the net monthly income of the parent who doesn’t have custody (called the “noncustodial parent”) when determining payments. The Court does this by taking the noncustodial parent’s gross monthly income, and then subtracting health insurance premiums, federal taxes, Social Security and other costs.

The court will then multiply that income number by a percentage (ranging from 20% to 40% based upon the number of children involved) to determine how much the noncustodial parent will pay. The percentage amount is applied regardless of income amount. Thus, whether a noncustodial parent makes $3,000.00 per month or $9,000.00 per month, that parent will still pay the same percentage in child support based upon the number of children involved. Even if a parent is not working the court will impure minimum wage to the noncustodial parent resulting in a child support obligation. If you have questions about the amount of money you will pay or receive in child support, get in touch with one of our child support attorneys in Frisco TX.

Can I Modify My Child Support Payments?

Yes, a court can modify child support payments (up or down) in a few circumstances. First, if more than three years have elapsed since the initial child support order was signed and there is a difference in the monthly amount of child support originally ordered by 20% or $100. Second, if a substantial change has occurred to either the parent or the child, and third, if the parties agree to a modification. Each of these ways to modify child support can be complicated, and if you think the child support ordered in your case needs to be modified, contact the Frisco child support attorneys at the Law Offices of Rita Dixon PLLC.

Turn to Us to Learn More

Please get in touch with the Law Offices of Rita C. Dixon PLLC if you would like to speak with one of our Frisco child support attorneys. You can contact us online, or you can give us a call at (817) 768-6333.